Ain't NOTHING easy about Sunday morning...

Monday, February 14, 2005

Boooks...

Hey Janet! There's DONUTS in the conference room!


Okay! With that out of the way....
What's everyone reading?
The Bible counts, but you have to tell me what other books you've been into recently.

As for me:

1-2 Samuel
The Idiot by Dostoevsky (yeah, I've been reading it since November and I just hit "part two")
The Infidel (a novel about hymnist John Newton) - this one happens to be really disappointing.

OKAY...sorry....I have to interrupt this progam....

Little Peter is watching the food network to put himself to bed, and it's a show about a chocolate battle...

and the MUSIC in the show is made with SOUNDTRACK...a program from Apple that uses existing royalty-free sound loops....
Anyhow, Scott Lean and I once did a video called "Arts/Crafts" about people whose profession is also an expression of art...
It was a lovely piece. I'll get it uploaded as soon as I regain a high-speed connection.
Anyhow AGAIN, this Food Network commercial spot used the same music that we did. And one of our subjects was a chef, and the music was almost identical...I guess those loops just sound like "chef loops"

k..back the books...

I'm not feeling "The Infidel" simply because it's too untidy. It feels like a history teacher trying to force his enthusiasm about Newton into a Novel. It's full of futile attempts to shove in pointless information. One character willbe like:
"I'm sure you won't have a problem on this slave ship since your father was a trade sailor and owned his own ship and was known for his meanness, something that probably scarred you as a child and gave you a proclivity for aggression..."
Yeah, I'm hyperbolizing...but you get the gist...

I also decided to Man-Up and read a very difficult book called "Inside of Me". It's about a young Christian woman's struggle with "SEXUAL MISUSE" and RELATIONSHIPS...It originally caught my eye because of it's attractive packaging...some designer did a good job...anyway, I decided to pick it up because of Manne. Manne is the SEX-ADDICT with the COMPULSIVE CHEATING HABIT in my life. And she's very hard to understand...You know someone is intense when you have to pick up a book to try to understand them...then again, I guess for a Christian that's not so rare. So far the book is making me very uncomfortable because MEN aren't exactly cast in the most flattering light. I'm not sure yet how to translate that into the real Manne's life. She seems to blame herself for all of her flaws. She's relentless...she's not real. She's a character in one of my scripts. That one is available at relevantbooks.com

The Rock That is Higher -- This book is non-fiction by Madeleine L'Engle. It's GREAT. And I've also been taking my time with it. It's basically like a conversation about her writing habits and her inspiration. I think the official tagline is: Conveying Truth Through Story.....

So which books, kids? What's resting on your chest when awake from your rest?

2 Comments:

Blogger Puddleglum said...

Wow...let me know how the dance book turns out. I have a lot of friends who dance as ministry. One of them is just PHENOMENAL...in fact, she was one of the artists featured in the video "Arts/Crafts"

peace!

2:02 PM

 
Blogger Revolt said...

Hmmm...I can't single out one particular book at the moment cuz I read at least 3 at a time.

One that I read over and over again would be the anthology "Black Eyed Peas For the Soul" by Donna Marie Williams...and don't get disturbed by the bite-off title, it's truly worth the read...over and over again.

Also my friend's book (she's the one who started 'honeychile') "I Don't Write Pretty" by Aulelei Love...it's kind of like your dream book: poetry, pictures and commentary. Get it! www.sheflypaper.com

Salut.

1:42 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home