Ain't NOTHING easy about Sunday morning...

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Sit on my knee...

Uncle Adam will show you how to read a movie...

God found me again while I was watching HITCH.
We don't have time now to talk about how mcuh I dislike Will Smith, and what a blow to my puff-gut it was to have God speak to me through the film...

**WARNING POTENTIAL SPOILERS AHEAD**

The first light went off with the very RANDOM appearance by Mike Rapaport as Hitch's best friend.
A best friend is always a conscience in a film.
Okay, USUALLY...
And supporting roles like that (if it could even be called that) are not usualy cast so heavily. Just think about it. You have no idea who that lisping guy was (Sara's Boss), but he got more screentime than Michael Rapaport. It was practically a cameo. And he never shows up again.
"If you think you know who's in a movie, and then you find yourself saying "Wow, I didn't know HE/SHE was in this..." then PAY attention. At $2oo,ooo a day in production costs, VERY LITTLE is a coincidence.
Anyway...
Here, the best friend is MARRIED...
and he says something like:
"Come on, Hitch. You know you're not fulfilled. You need to move beyond the physical and get to know UNCONDITIONAL LOVE (for every Christian, this phrase should be like a beer can to Homer Simpson) that's not going to get up and walk away from you." Then he says: "Ever since I got MARRIED TO GRACE (ding, ding, ding) my life, and my whole outlook has changed. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT for the WORLD."
(I feel like I'm screaming.)

So there it is. Look deeper. Hitch needs to be saved. And in this parable, salvation comes in the form of a monogamous love-centered relationship.

***
This one was like having a mirror thrown up to me:
When the Albert says to Hitch "You don't even believe in your own product! You sell it, but you don't believe it!" (talking about Love)
I think every honest Christian can relate to that one. I don't even feel like counting the times I've felt "burdened" to share Christ, or compelled by mere obligation to "witness" to someone. God forgive me.

Then there's the situation with Albert admitting his flaws and looking for help. He represents the common man looking outside himself for an answer to his dysfunction. Albert was attentive, and faithful, and he "studied to show himself approved."
I think that the most alluring thing to me about Albert is that he never lost himself. He let go of his pride, and he openly admitted needing direction, but he didn't turn into a "Hitch Robot". This film could have very easily been about Albert thinking that now he can get any woman he wants, and his self-destructive attempt to get there. Instead Albert has a goal, is genuinely in love with Allegra, and pursues it nobly...

OH WOW!!

I just remembered Albert's speech about being miserable.
He said something to the effect of:
"If Love comes with this price tag of being miserable, then that's okay. I'm willing to be miserable if it means that I can hold on to Love." Yeah, I butchered that one...but you get the gist...Albert was willing to stick it out. He didn't punk out and give up and go home and jack off. Instead the love in him (Holy Spirit) compelled him to PERSEVERE through the hard times and the rejection, because he knew it was worth it. He respected Love. He was willing to suffer for love.

And finally, I think Hitch's ultimate test hit very close to home for me, given my recent experience seeking a relationship with someone who seemes (for the time being) less than interested in me. I don't know if I'm supposed to take any literal cues from the film though...But Will Smith, having realized the value of Love, let his tenacity drive him. He knew what he wanted (Sara) and he literally grabbed for it with two hands...and wouldn't let go. It pains me to know that in my own personal life, I conceded and let go...
Did you see Hitch? He was the MAN at that point. Very polite, and above the line. He simply made it plain without villainizing "The Other Guy". That takes balls. It's not hard to have someone you love deeply choose another person over you. Even typing that hurts. But I think as Christians, we're called to put ourselves out there like that. We are God's sons and daughters...God goes ALL out, ALL the time. I thank God that he doesn't just watch me run off and get married to the "one I think is right for me..."
Thank God for John 6...And Thank God that he speaks with a Hollywood Accent.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you really broke it all down so well. I LOVED that movie and you just made me fall even more in love with it. *xoxo* Your so awesome, ya know that. :D

12:57 AM

 
Blogger Carlo said...

i'm afraid i just read all that and you spoilt the movie for me! i'll still watch it cuz i looooooove will smith. God spoke to you in a movie? explain yourself.

9:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home