Ain't NOTHING easy about Sunday morning...

Friday, December 03, 2004

Point Proven.

I just watched Pete's Dragon for the first time in about 10 years, and by the end I was POSITIVE that it was a blatant morality play from the days when Disney was still wholesome. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone to agree with me. At best, the movie is listed as a film that is 'less evil' than the most recent films.

With the exception of the film's end, the ENTIRE movie feels like a gospel allegory.

Pete is You
The Dragon (Elliot) is God/Jesus/Spirit
The Gogans are Sin
Nora is the "Good Person"
Lampie is the "Perosn in Denial"
Hoagy and Terminus are "Religion"
The Townspeople are "Religious People"
Paul is "The 'Lost' or Unevangelized Man"

I found some really strong and relevant parallels, but I don't want to spoil the magic.
Holler at me on the dizzle if you want to talk about it. I think I'm going to buy the dvd and use it as a Bible study.
Why not?

You know how I am. At first, I was thrown off by the love song Pete sings to Elliot. Of course, my first thought (knowing Disney) was to look for hidden homoeroticism. When this didn't get me too far, I felt bad for even trying to. That's when I spotted Jesus. I thought I was so clever to spot this, but by the end, it seemd so obvious that I began to feel stupid for not seeing it earlier. Upon a little research, I guess I was wrong...Nobody else has written about it.

But as Jesus said...If you look for it, you'll find it.
And I was looking for Jesus, and once again, I found him in a movie.
Even if he didn't 'belong' there.

It's a Brazzle, Dazzle, Day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home